The Sledgehammer – Version 2.0

August 13, 2009

It All Breaks Eventually.

Filed under: Random Stuff — Tags: , , — Brian Lutz @ 1:52 am

Although I haven’t had as much opportunity to use my RC truck as much as I would like to since I’ve gotten it, I’ve found that in the somewhat limited time I have used it for it has held up surprisingly well.  For a number of runs now, the Revo has held up with no significant repairs needed, and aside from a fuel pickup glitch I encountered while out in the middle of nowhere, has functioned pretty much flawlessly.  This, of course, meant that I was just about due for some breakage, and on a relatively brief trip out to some BMX ramps up at the top of Education Hill near Hartman Park earlier this week, things broke.  All sorts of things broke, in fact.  On the plus side, I think I managed to put one of these things on the Christmas list of one of the bike riders who showed up while I was there.

A bad landing from a jump resulted in this bent exhaust header pipe, which by itself wasn’t really enough to put the truck out of commission, but it was enough to affect performance and bend some other things out of shape.  Expecting this to be a fairly minor (if somewhat involved) repair, I bought the replaement part and set sbout taking things apart to make the repair.

For comparison, here’s the part, compared to its replacement (one guess which is which.)  Note that the broken one also reflects a bit of mangling required to bend it out of the way of the screw that holds it onto the engine bl0ck. 

Of course, one problem is never enough, and if you dig down deep enough you’re bound to find more.  Sure enough, removing the engine from the block revealed that somewhere along the line, I managed to break the engine mount as well, requiring another trip to another hobby store to pick up one of those (and another $20 for the part.)  Breaking small metal pieces on this thing seems to be a considerably more expensive endeavor than breaking small plastic pieces.  After getting back from the hobby shop with that piece, I soon discovered that one of the bearings in one of the rear axle carriers had seized up (which would probably explain some of the damage to the wheel mounted on that axle.)  Following a THIRD trip to the hobby shop, I finally had the stuff to put it all back together.  Also while I had the whole thing apart, I also changed out the oil in the rear shocks to a higher weight, to try to help stiffen up the overly soft out-of-the-box suspension a bit more. 

Finally, after several hours of tinkering around uninstalling, reinstalling, re-uninstalling and re-reinstalling stuff, something mostly resembling an RC monster truck has once again emerged from the random pile of parts strewn about the desk, as seen in the first picture.  There’s still one pesky issue I need to resolve with the exhaust hanger, but other than that I should be good to go, and managed to get a couple good evenings of quality not-sitting-around-on-the-computer out of the deal.  It also provided a good opportunity to make use of the workbench-like object I’ve recently added to the room  This job would have been a serious pain to do on the end table in the living room where I had done my RC wrenching before I got the workbench, if for no other reason than the sheer quantity of parts strewn about and disassembled at one time.

1 Comment »

  1. It’s about time you actually broke somthing. I had a repair more involved than that within the first hour of running.

    Comment by J.B.L. — August 13, 2009 @ 5:49 am

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: