Yeah, I seem to have been posting a lot about the RC car stuff lately, but I’ve been spending a fair bit of time on the stuff. Last weekend, my brother (the one who got us all started on this stuff in the first place) came into town so it was inevitable that we would break out the cars and go bashing for a while.
The big problem with these things is that it’s pretty much impossible to take pictures when you’re driving one of the things, and even if I’m not driving my camera doesn’t seem to like fast-moving objects all that much. Besides, who would want to be taking photos if you could be doing this?
These things are, of course, a whole lot easier to take pictures of when they’re standing still. I’m not sure which of these were working and which were broken at the time this was taken (I know my Revo was still drivable at this time, aside from a dead starter battery) but for the most part, we fared reasonably well. This weekend, not so much though (my Dad’s Savage stripped a spur gear, and I think I might have bent the exhaust header on my Revo again, which was not exactly a cheap part the first time I did it..)
With Fall setting in, and the weather getting colder, it’s getting to the point in the year when you can’t really run nitro RC cars (the engines are finicky enough to tune in good weather that I wouldn’t really want to try it when it’s really cold, and the electronics on mine aren’t exactly waterproof in the first place. ) There’s also the pesky little fact that noisy little nitro engines and complexes don’t get along all that well, so with that in mind, I’ve been looking at getting a small electric that I can actually use here, and one which I can use during the Winter. I was also impressed by the E-Revo VXL my brother got recently (last seen here being driven around a hotel room in a potentially inadvisable manner,) so I decided to pick one up myself. Mine’s the one in blue.
And as anyone familiar with RC cars could probably attest, it doesn’t take long for things to start breaking, and I think I managed about twenty minutes of use before I managed to take out one of the front suspension arms (which, ironically enough, is the first thing I managed to break on my Revo 3.3 when I first got it as well.) Granted, I was jumping the thing off a curb in front of my parents’ house at the time, but it would have been nice to get a bit more than 20 minutes before it broke. Fortunately, it’s easy to fix (I’ve already spent more than my fair share of time tinkering with the suspension components on the big one, and a lot of the pieces are very similar) so this should be easily fixed as long as I can manage to find the parts to do it with. At least I still have something to drive while I’m waiting to get this one fixed. Oh well, gotta’ break ’em all, I guess.